North Korea has not responded to behind-the-scenes diplomatic outreach since mid-February by President Joe Biden’s administration, including to Pyongyang’s mission to the United Nations, a senior Biden administration official told Reuters on Saturday.
The disclosure of the so-far unsuccessful U.S. outreach, which has not been previously reported, raises questions about how Biden will address mounting tensions with Pyongyang over its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.
The usual, asking nicely, offering them money, and then having North Korea use that money for its nuclear weapons program. It’s traditional.
Meanwhile, things haven’t been going well with Iran either.
A spokesman for Iran’s Foreign Ministry said on Sunday that conditions are not ripe for informal nuclear talks between Iran, the U.S. and other world powers.
Why it matters: The Biden administration had proposed the talks as part of its efforts to negotiate a path back to the 2015 nuclear deal. The White House expressed disappointment with Iran’s response, but said it remained willing to engage with Tehran.
“While we are disappointed at Iran’s response, we remain ready to reengage in meaningful diplomacy to achieve a mutual return to compliance with the nuclear deal commitments,” a White House spokesman said.
Call me Ayatollah, I’m waiting by the phone. And waiting to lead some more from behind.
Is there anyone in the world responding to Biden’s diplomatic outreach?
Joe, will always have Moscow.
President Biden agreed to extend an expiring nuclear arms control treaty with Russia, ending a standoff under former President Donald Trump that threatened to sink the pact as the Kremlin resisted U.S. efforts to add restrictions to the Russian arsenal.
The extension is proceeding on Russia’s terms, as Moscow resisted Trump administration efforts to link the treaty’s extension to other nuclear-related disputes.
Finally, Biden found an enemy country that will let him appease it. It’s a little awkward that it’s the same country Democrats had claimed President Trump was working for.
Biden Surrendered to Iran’s Houthis: They’re Amping Up the War
Whenever Obama’s terrible foreign policy initiatives, mainly involving appeasing all our enemies, went up in flames, there would always be confusion and bafflement among the media and the expert networks. They were doing all the right things, why wasn’t it working. Why was the world in flames?
Biden got the ball rolling with a big present to Iran’s Houthi terrorists by shutting down our participation in the campaign to keep them at bay.
Now, confusingly, the Houthis, whose motto includes, ‘Death to America’, show no interest in negotiating and are escalating the war.
Entirely unexpected, folks. Entirely.
Iran-backed Houthi militants have “prioritized” a major military offensive while ignoring a U.S. ceasefire proposal, even as President Biden pressures Saudi Arabia to curtail military operations in the civil war.
“Tragically, and somewhat confusingly for me, it appears that the Houthis are prioritizing a military campaign … over suspending the war and moving relief to the Yemeni people,” State Department special representative Tim Lenderking said Friday.
It’s only confusing if you’re an idiot.
The Biden administration shut down America’s role in fighting Iran’s terrorists. Why would the Houthis do anything other than press their advantage, believing, rightly, that they’ve won, and that this is their opportunity to strike a decisive blow?
It’s confusing why anyone would believe that the Houthis would do anything else.
“The Houthis continue to impede that flow, including [by] diverting money from imports that was intended for civilian salaries, in direct violation of their commitments under a [United Nations] agreement,” he told an Atlantic Council audience. “Unfortunately, we cannot ensure that food that passes through the port reaches those in need, as that area is under Houthi control.”
That’s a reference to the famine, that the media falsely blamed on the campaign against the Houthis, when it was actually carried out by the Houthis.
After the release of the AP’s investigation on Monday, the United Nations’ World Food Program for the first time directly accused the Houthi rebels of diverting aid. WFP director David Beasley said in a letter to the Houthis’ leader that if the rebels did not investigate and put an end to theft, the organization would suspend some assistance, potentially effecting nearly 3 million people.
“These incidents of fraud amount to stealing food from the mouths of hungry Yemeni children,” Beasley wrote.
The WFP said its own investigation had found “evidence of trucks illicitly removing food from designated food distribution centers” in Houthi-controlled areas as well as fraud by a local food aid distributor connected to the Houthis’ Education Ministry. It said it learned many people in the Houthi-controlled capital, Sanaa, have not been getting food rations they’re entitled to and that in other areas “hungry people have been denied full rations.”
That information was widely known, but the establishment instead kept echoing Qatari/Iran propaganda about the famine in Yemen. Now, entirely unexpectedly, the Houthis are doing exactly what they were doing all along. And surrendering to them just made it worse.
And if you think this is unexpected, the ISIS comeback will be even better.