President Donald J. Trump Accomplishments.
PROTECTING AMERICA AND OUR ALLIES BY REBUILDING THE MILITARY:
President Trump is rebuilding our military, defeating terrorist organizations, and confronting rogue nations to protect America and our allies.
Upon taking office, President Trump directed the rebuilding of the United States military.
- While in office, President Trump has worked with Congress to increase defense spending, reverse the defense sequester, expand our military capacity, and modernize its capabilities.
- The President has empowered the Secretary of Defense and our military commanders to make decisions, seize the initiative, and win – without micromanagement from Washington.
The Trump Administration has worked to rebuild the U.S. Military and provided the Defense Department nearly 1.5 Trillion dollars in the past two NDAAs.
- In 2018, the Trump Administration signed a $700 billion NDAA to rebuild our military in 2018, the largest amount in history which gave the military a 2.4% pay raise, the biggest since 2010.
- In 2017, President Trump signed the National Defense Authorization Act of FY2018 which increased the size of the American Armed Forces for the first time in seven years and authorized nearly $700 billion annually for U.S. defense expenditures.
President Trump is modernizing the United States military to meet the security needs of the 21st century.
- President Trump announced the creation of the United States Space Force as a new branch of the military.
- President Trump revived the National Space Council to develop and implement a new national space policy and strategy.
- President Trump elevated the U.S. Cyber Command into a major warfighting command, to advance U.S. efforts in cyberspace.
President Trump announced a new strategy for Afghanistan to protect the American people based on stability and security so terrorists cannot use the country as a base to threaten U.S. interests.
- The new strategy put pressure on the Taliban and set conditions for a peaceful settlement between the Afghanistan government and the Taliban.
- The President warned Pakistan that no partnership can survive a country’s tolerance for militants and terrorists, and they must take action.
- The partnership with India is vital, and they make important contributions to Afghanistan’s safety, security, and development.
President Trump is putting maximum pressure on North Korea to denuclearize.
- In June 2019, President Trump became the first sitting U.S. President to enter North Korea,as he held a historic meeting with Kim Jong Un at the DMZ.
- President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met on June 12, 2018, in Singapore where the two leaders discussed steps towards denuclearizing the Korean peninsula.
- Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and other representatives of the United States government traveled to Pyongyang, North Korea on May 9 to prepare for the President’s upcoming meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. During Secretary Pompeo’s visit, the North Korean leadership released three American detainees. President Trump appreciates leader Kim Jong Un’s action to release these American citizens, and views this as a positive gesture of goodwill. The three Americans appear to be in good condition and were all able to walk on the plane without assistance. All Americans look forward to welcoming them home and to seeing them reunited with their loved ones.
- The Treasury Department has implemented an array of sanctions on North Korean individuals and entities as part of the Maximum Pressure Campaign.
- Under President Trump’s leadership, the United Nations Security Council unanimously passed new sanctions on North Korea for their continued aggressive behavior.
President Trump is confronting Iran’s aggression.
- The Trump Administration withdrew from Obama’s flawed Iranian nuclear deal which neither ended Iran’s nuclear ambitions nor curbed its destabilizing activities.
- President Trump in consultation with his national security team has approved a new strategy for Iran.
- Not certifying they are in full compliance with the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, known as the Iran Deal.
- Focusing on neutralizing the Government of Iran’s destabilizing influence and constraining its aggression, particularly its support for terrorism and militants.
- Revitalizing our traditional alliances and regional partnerships as bulwarks against Iranian subversion and restore a more stable balance of power in the region.
- Deny the Iranian regime – and especially the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) – funding for its malign activities, and oppose IRGC activities that extort the wealth of the Iranian people.
- Counter threats to the United States and our allies from ballistic missiles and other asymmetric weapons.
- Rally the international community to condemn the IRGC’s gross violations of human rights and its unjust detention of American citizens and other foreigners on specious charges.
- Deny the Iranian regime all paths to a nuclear weapon.
- The Trump administration has instituted an array of sanctions against Iran for its destabilizing activities and actions.
President Trump has cracked down on Chemical Weapons users.
- President Trump ordered missile strikes against a Syrian airbase after the Assad regime used it to launch chemical weapons attacks against civilians.
- President Trump prevented further chemical weapons attacks by announcing detection of their preparation and warning Syria that they would be struck again if the attacks were carried out.
- President Trump placed sanctions on North Korea for its use of chemical weapons in the assassination of Kim Jong Un’s stepbrother.
- President Trump placed sanctions on Russia for its use of chemical weapons in connection to attempted assassination of a former KGB spy in Britain.
President Trump is supporting Democracy in Venezuela and cracking down on the Maduro regime
- President Trump has imposed numerous sanctions on the Maduro dictatorship in Venezuela, targeting the regime itself, individuals, and entities supporting Maduro’s dictatorship.
- The new financial sanctions prohibit dealings in new Venezuelan debt and its corrupt oil company. The regime will no longer be able finance its debt using U.S. banks.
- The Trump Administration has publicly supported Juan Guaido, the Democratic elected leader of the Venezuelan General Assembly, and has led the world in backing Guaido.
- The Trump Administration has approved more than $250 million in regional aid to address the humanitarian crisis in Venezuela.
NEW ACTIONS AGAINST RUSSIA:
President Donald J. Trump announced additional measures to punish those who seek to undermine American democracy and security.
The Trump Administration has directly confronted Russia for its threatening behavior to the U.S. and our allies.
The Trump Administration has bolstered allies in the region.
- The Trump Administration has provided the sale of lethal weapons to Ukraine.
- The Trump Administration has enhanced its support for Ukraine’s Armed Forces to help Ukraine improve its ability to defend itself.
- The Trump Administration has provided more than a billion dollars to the European Defense initiative.
- The Trump Administration has pressured NATO allies to meet their spending commitments and by the year 2019, NATO allies will have increased their spending by nearly $100 billion since 2016.
The Trump Administration has pursued an aggressive stance against Russia for its destabilizing activities.
- The Trump Administration has applied numerous sanctions against Russia for its malicious cyber activities, its destabilizing activities in Ukraine and its chemical weapons use.
- The Administration has opposed Vladimir Putin’s largest geo-economic project, the Nord Stream 2 pipeline.
- The Administration has imposed diplomatic penalties on Russia including the expulsion of more than 50 Russian intelligence officials and the closing of two Russian consulates.