Seattle is no stranger to riots. They occur there almost on a yearly basis, with anarchists being the biggest organizers and instigators by far. But this year, the May Day riot had an even more thuggish bent to it as you can see in the picture above. The desire to murder police officers was aggressively advertised.
As most protests, it started out fairly peaceful. It didn’t stay that way for long. They were protesting for workers’ and immigrants’ rights. Then the anti-capitalist thugs joined the fun and all hell broke loose. They smashed windows, started fires and attacked police officers. They started throwing rocks and bricks and brandishing sticks and wrenches at about 7 pm on May Day.
The festivities were centered in the Capitol Hill area of Seattle. Residents were warned to take cover and stay inside. Businesses were advised to vacate and protect what they could.
Three officers were attacked and hurt. Two had to go to the hospital with serious injuries. In retaliation, the police hit protesters with pepper spray and flash-bang grenades. Police for the most part were on bicycles. 15 protesters were arrested amid the violence.
25 or so cars were damaged by protestors. A number of businesses had their windows smashed and fires were set. Dumpsters were overturned. Art in the parks was marked with the Anarchist symbol – one person was even spray painted because he would not move.
Let’s look at some of the organizers who came out to play…
BLACK LIVES MATTER
A common thread you will find through all the protests now is Black Lives Matter. Here is what they laid out for the Seattle protest:
Black Lives Matter May Day 2015 — 10:30 AM — MLK Memorial Park — 2200 Martin Luther King Jr. Way S. and at 2:30 PM 20/Jackson
- Short Description: We want an end to police terror, an end to the slavery that is the prison system and we want the people who profit from these systems held accountable.
- Long Description: We are the Outside Agitators 206. First off, we have four points of unity: 1. We center Black voices to celebrate and affi… See More…
- Website: http://www.outsideagitators206.org/
- Black Lives Matter was co-founded by three black activist/organizers: Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors and Opal Tometi.
- ALICIA GARZA: KEYWIKI http://keywiki.org/Alicia_Garza
- Alicia Garza, Executive Director firstname.lastname@example.org 415 -864-8372 http://www.peopleorganized.org/
- MORE INFO HERE: http://www.guidestar.org/ViewPdf.aspx?PdfSource=0&ein=94-3305957
JOHN CARLOS: was a 1968 Olympic Bronze medalist who raised his black gloved fist in a statement of struggle and resistance on the medal stand and became a global icon in the fight against racism, co-author of “The John Carlos Story: The Sports Moment That Changed The World.” He is a Black Power icon.
Read Much More at this Link: http://noisyroom.net/blog/2015/05/17/cities-on-fire-seattle/